What is a Trademark?
A distinctive symbol or word(s) used to represent a brand or its products is a trademark. Once registered, no other entity can use the same icon or sequence of terms forever, as long as it is in use and proper documentation and fees are charged.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is an open forum for the masses to publish their stories and blogs.
For the blogging and publishing method, WordPress is made so that people can quickly compose and practice a range of writing styles. Because of its widespread use, it is better to protect WordPress trademarks and copyrights. This brings comfort and protection to the people who work on this website.
What Kinds Of Websites Can WordPress Make?
WordPress is not only powering a vast number of business websites and blogs, it is now the most common way to build an eCommerce shop! With WordPress, it is possible to create:
- Business websites
- eCommerce stores
- Social networks
- Membership sites
You can create any type of website with WordPress
Need of Trademark for WordPress
The authors’ commitment and thinking process are not limited to writing their insight down. It takes, however, a full process of thinking about the subject, making outlines, theme discussions, and editing the draughts. It is better to protect them with trademarks than to see someone else using and claiming your written blog as his/hers
Trademark Policy for WordPress
Trademarks for the WordPress and WordCamp titles and trademarks are owned and supervised by the WordPress Foundation. The WordPress team has developed this trademark usage policy with the following goals in mind.
- To make it convenient for others to use the name or logo of WordPress or WordCamp for community-oriented activities that help promote WordPress and strengthen it.
- To make it clear how companies and ventures linked to WordPress should (and can not) use the name and logo of WordPress or WordCamp.
- To make it impossible for others to use the name and logo of WordPress or WordCamp to improperly benefit from, deceive, or mislead individuals who are searching for official tools for WordPress or WordCamp.
According to WordPress, “ All other WordPress-related organizations or ventures may refer to and justify their offerings by using the WordPress name and logo, but they may not use them as part of a product, initiative, program, domain name, or business name and may not use them in any manner that implies an association with or support by the WordPress Foundation or the open-source WordPress project.”
Similarly, as part of a website that explains your goods or services, it is OK to use the WordPress or WordCamp logo, but it is not OK to use it as part of a business or product logo or branding itself. Using WordPress or WordCamp as part of a domain name or top-level domain name is not allowed in any circumstances.
Also read What are Company Formation Documents?
The statute that covers trademarks in India is the Trademarks Act, 1999 (hereinafter referred to as the Act). The Act sets down the rules on licensing, protection, and fines against trademark infringement. The status of intellectual property around the world is granted to trademarks. Most entities, both national and international, aim to protect intellectual property, such as trademarks. In India, the Indian Patent Office, managed by the Controller General of Patents, Designs, and Trademarks, is the organization that deals with the protection of trademarks.
In plain terms, misuse of a trademark is the illegal use of a trademark that is identical or deceptively close to that of a registered trademark. The word deceptively identical here suggests that the nature of the products or services is likely to be mistaken when an ordinary customer looks at the label.
We recommend that you use WordPress’s Trademark Violation Form to apply for your case if you have not been able to address the problem personally with the author. To do so, we recommend that you include all the details that WordPress would need to investigate: http://automattic.com/trademark-policy/
As per WordPress, the following information is needed:
- Your name and contact information
- Your company name, and website address, if applicable
- Identification of your trademark being infringed, including official trademark registration details and information
- The URL of the WordPress site being reported and the exact content/aspect of that site
- A clear and detailed explanation of how the above content violates your trademark, thus creating consumer confusion
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the trademark in the manner complained of is an infringement of the rights granted under the United States and/or foreign trademark law
- Your physical or electronic signature as the owner or person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the trademark that is allegedly infringed
- Your consent to forward the trademark complaint to the site’s owner, including your contact information
To know the whole process click on https://wordpress.com/support/trademark-infringement/
However, you should certainly use specialist services to protect your blog. Vakilsearch has years of regulatory experience and trademark terms and conditions. Contact their team to undertake the trademark responsibility for your blogs or posts.
3 thoughts on “Register a Trademark for WordPress Services to Authorize Blogging”
Trademark is very essential asset for any business. Your post is very useful and informative. Great work. Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!