As the name suggests, an orthopaedic mattress is a supportive mattress that gives proper support to the body and helps in alleviating chronic pains and aches. This in turn provides a much-needed regular sound sleep to people that is becoming a rarity in today’s times despite having so many health benefits.
What is an orthopaedic mattress?
When it comes to orthopaedic mattresses there is a general understanding that any mattress that is firm can qualify as an orthopaedic mattress. This usually happens because there are no standard guidelines which distinguish an orthopaedic mattress from others. In simple terms, thopaedic mattress is one that relieves the pressure from sensitive areas like the hips and shoulders and facilitates a neutral spine alignment which ensures better sleep and pain relief.
How firm should the mattress be?
Most people assume that the firmer the mattress is the better it will be. However, that is not always true and sleeping on anything too hard or too soft can be quite concerning in the long run. In the absence of any standard guidelines regarding the firmness of the mattress, doctors usually recommend medium-soft mattresses. These mattresses are preferred as they offer good support to all – the side, back and combination sleepers. This kind of mattress ensures that the joints are cradled and protected from pressure points while keeping the spine in a neutral position. The firmness level is perfect to prevent the body from sinking in and misalignment of the spine while comfortably supporting the sensitive areas.
When is an orthopaedic mattress needed?
An individual should get an orthopaedic mattress if he/she wakes up with sore muscles and lower back pain every morning. People with a spinal misalignment or other injuries to the vertebral column should ideally opt for these mattresses. Also, as orthopaedic mattresses give good support to the body and spine, it is worthful purchase for people who spend long hours sitting on a chair and need a comfortable sleeep at the end of the day.
Choosing the right mattress for good support
- An ideal mattress for good back support would be one that has the following features:
- Ensures even distribution of body weight via adequate zonal support
- Scientifically designed and engineered to cradle the whole body and contour as per the shape of the body and pressure points
- The material used is breathable and does not heat up during hot weather
- The mattress is branded and is recommended by eminent health experts
- The mattress comes with a warranty
What are the different kinds of orthopaedic mattresses?
Mattresses can be made from different materials and in the absence of any standard regulation; any kind of mattress can be labelled as an orthopaedic mattress. However, it is to be noted that the most highly recommended ones are those made of memory foam, latex or those that are a hybrid.
Memory Foam: Memory foam is a viscous yet floating material that contours to the body’s shape and supports the joints well. Memory foam is highly preferred by those with chronic pains and aches as supports the body well and does not stresses any painful points. Also, over time, the memory foam tends to remember your body shape and align naturally to it the next time.
Latex: Latex mattresses are preferred by many as they are made from natural products. Latex has more bounce and is comparatively firmer for those who need a firm to medium-firm bed.
Hybrid Mattress: These beds have innerspring that move separately ensuring minimum motion transfer. In addition, Hybrid mattresses provide a cool sleeping environment by transferring heat more and offering breathability to the cushion, owing to the innerspring core. Hybrid mattresses also have a top layer of memory foam or latex which is usually 2-3 inches thick.
The Many Benefits of using these mattresses
Orthopaedic mattresses are generally recommended for people who suffer from pains and aches, however, these mattresses have loads of benefits for all kinds of people.
- These mattresses help in alleviating body pain by giving adequate support to the body.
- They also prevent sleep disturbances usually created when the person you are sleeping with rolls over frequently that leads the mattress to sink.
- These mattresses are also anti-bacterial and prevent allergens to accumulate, effectively safeguarding the users from any kind of allergies.
- They are good for pregnant women. Not only do these give adequate support and safety during the first trimester, they also give the required firm support to the body as the pregnancy advances and the body weight increases
Buying Orthopedic Mattresses
Today, buying an orthopaedic mattress is easier than before owing to many brands offering it online for people to buy quality products online. E-commerce portals that offer speciality sleep products offer the most competitive ortho mattress price and also ensure that the same is delivered to the customer’s doorstep without any hassles at all.