The three primary features of progressive web apps are.
- Service worker providing online support and facilitating background tasks.
- The web apps help in expressing native-like features, such as the icon of the app on the home screen.
If you are thinking about whether building progressive web apps is the right action, you need to look into the pros and cons of these apps to motivate yourself. Note the following
Indexing and accessibility
The money and effort that go into marketing your apps in the marketplace do not remain when dealing with progressive web apps. No wonder companies are prepared to spend on progressive web app development services to say goodbye to the hassles. When it comes to accessibility, the search engines view the PWA as your site for indexing the apps continuously.
Sharing the apps
For the PWAs, there are no geographical restrictions applicable or app stores imposing arbitrary policies, which make the publishing of app straightforward. You can share the PWAs similarly to sharing a website or copying its URL.
Saving data and enhancing offline functionality
The latest web standards coming in the form of service workers allow the web developers to create applications that allow the user’s store or cache data on a local device. Therefore, using the features of the app is convenient even when you do not have an internet connection. The offline apps are an important aspect for all those business enterprises that experience slow internet and are expensive. Inconsistency in the network connections can take a toll on the battery of the phone but the PWAs can resolve this problem to a great extent.
Comparing native and web apps
The native apps enhance the user experience with several functionalities. However, there may be vulnerabilities that the PWAs need to overcome.
Cost and size of the download
Downloading a native app consume adequate memory space and data. Generally, the users have several apps on their devices. Therefore, they need to think twice before downloading more apps as it can take a toll on the memory space. The progressive web apps offer an app-like experience that consumes less space and can be installed on the screen of the Smartphone.
When it comes to progressive web apps, there is no need to develop different apps for varied platforms. The PWAs use web technology that offers an experience similar to native apps on multiple devices and browsers.
The PWAs are pretty fast and the small size makes the installation easy. As they use cache data, you can start using them in the absence of a network connection. So, all you need is to call PWA development services and to design PWAs for your business.
Cons of PWA
You are familiar with the pros of PWAs but you need to know the cons as well. Here are things to remember.
- The iOS devices do not resonate with PWAs as the decision of the company is still awaited in the matter of Apple.
- The PWAs impact the use of device battery and not very devices support the wide range of PWA features.
- The establishment of a strong re-engagement for iOS users is not possible such as in standard web notifications.
- Do not support offline execution and it is limited.
- There is no presence of the progressive web app from the stores, so you cannot get traffic through this channel. Moreover, there is no process of approval.
- The PWAs have limited access to the hardware components of devices.
- As far as special content for users is concerned, the flexibility of the users is rather limited.
When to choose PWA
When you need to choose between PWA and native apps, note the following.
- The app needs to have an even distribution among a wide user base.
- The budget available is not high.
- Indexing on search engines must be appropriate.
- Cross-platform compatibility is necessary
- The time available to go live is little.
- It is necessary to get more updates within the little time available.
The web and native mobile app engage the users but have their shortcomings. However, the PWAs combine the best of both. You can discuss your requirements with a PWA app development company to know how easy it is to install progressive web apps. Moreover, they acquire less memory and enhance user interaction. Therefore, several businesses have already ventured into the PWAs to engage the mobile audience without spending a huge amount of money.
However, you need to analyze and reflect on the pros and cons of PWAs based on the project, time, and users to solidify your decision.