Diabetes is a bad physical condition in which lifelong treatment and care are required. The person who is suffering from diabetes may face various complications. Diabetic people are highly vulnerable to feet related problems. Therefore, it is very important to do the necessary foot care. If you fail to do the necessary foot care, it will lead to the amputation of the leg and feet. It is important to do necessary foot care such as washing feet regularly, choose good quality footwear, investing in good quality socks, and preventing your feet from various complications.
Diabetes and Foot Care
People who are suffering from diabetes are highly vulnerable to various complications due to increased blood sugar levels. Nerve damage is one of the major complications faced by diabetes sufferers. Nerve damage is also known as neuropathy. Mostly, neuropathy affects the feet of diabetic sufferers. Therefore, it is important to protect your feet from nerve damage.
Various symptoms of diabetic neuropathy are listed as follow:
- Feeling of numbness in your feet and toes
- Severe pain in feet that goes worse during the night time
- You will face a burning or tingling sensation in the feet
- Ulcers and foot deformities
Diabetic people who are suffering from neuropathy and have lost sensation in feet are at high risk of getting injured. For example, if a pebble is stuck in your shoes, it will rub against your feet and you will never feel it. If you will fail to examine your feet’ injuries, they will go worse and transform into something untreatable. If you want to prevent your feet from adverse conditions, you should check your feet for injuries regularly.
Diabetic socks are specially designed for diabetic people. Usually, these are designed to reduce the pressure on the feet of diabetic sufferers. The diabetic socks are designed to prevent injuries and keep your feet warm. There are special diabetic thermal socks available in the market.
Characteristics of Diabetic Socks
- Seamless: These are seamless so that there would be no friction against your feet. Socks with seams may lead to ulcers and blisters. Therefore, diabetic socks are seamless. Socks with seams can rub against your skin and cause blisters or ulcers. Most diabetic socks are made without them
- Moisture-wicking: The diabetic socks are featured with the moisture-wicking property so that your feet remain dry. It is important to keep your feet dry to prevent them from skin infections.
- Breathable: These are made up of breathable fabric so that moisture can easily evaporate.
- Warm: Diabetes will lead to a restriction in the blood vessels. Thus, it will lead to restricted blood flow in the feet of the diabetic sufferers. The diabetic socks are made up of a special type of warm fabric to improve the blood circulation in your feet.
- Square Toe Box: Too much marrow socks can squeeze your toes and can create discomfort. Thus, these kinds of socks will lead to moisture build-up in your toes.
- Fitted: Most diabetic socks are specially tailored to fit your legs and feet. They are designed in such a way that they do not start losing and also prevent you from skin injuries.
- Padded: The diabetic socks are made of cushion material. This form of padding will prevent your feet from injury.
Important Things To Consider While Choosing Socks
The process of choosing the right types of socks indicates that you are choosing a pair that can easily meet your needs and requirements. The person who is suffering from diabetes should choose the top-notch quality of shoes and socks to prevent your feet from adverse conditions. Diabetic people who have not developed the condition of neuropathy should choose the top-notch quality socks that will help you to feel comfortable. In case the bad symptoms of your feet start growing, you should immediately consult a good doctor. It is very important to ensure proper foot care so that you can prevent yourself from worsening of symptoms by investing in diabetic dress socks.
Diabetic people who have developed the condition of neuropathy should consider the present feet’ condition while choosing diabetic socks. Some diabetic people may start suffering from dry or cracked skin. Therefore, it is recommended that you should consider soft material while choosing diabetic socks. You should invest in seamless socks so that the friction may not result in foot injury.
While choosing the diabetic socks, you should ensure the right fit and the socks that can help in maintaining optimum blood circulation. You should avoid those kinds of socks that are extremely tight because they can restrict blood circulation and make the condition worse. While choosing the diabetic socks, you should consider all the important characteristics that will ensure good foot care.